- Goal: to model, texture and render a lighter, with a photo-realistic final image
- Reference: my own lighter and photos
- Challenges faced: Modelling a complex object, texturing it using MARI, using displacement-maps and creating a shading network in general
- More Details (G-Drive folder): https://goo.gl/kZpghK
- I never before used either displacement-maps nor created a shading network (with lots of noise and fractal nodes, for the scratches, etc), so I had a hard time figuring that out, especially playing around with the roughness-map to get it to look 'real'
- a rather important lesson learned: always give the areas that need detail enough space in the UV-layout. If you zoom in into the final render, you can make out the individual pixels of the lines that make up the ace-logo in the displacement-map.
All in all I am happy with the results; not nearly convincing as in photo-realistic, but good enough, and the project provided me with lots of opportunities for learning.